Reclaiming Colour

During my particularly depressive periods, I would neglect everything; school, food, sleep, hygiene, my friends, my family, myself, leaving my anxiety to frantically pick up the pieces. But that wasn’t necessarily helpful either because when my anxiety took over I would obsess over one particular aspect which I had neglected, usually school. I would continue to miss out on sleep, food and friendships but this time, instead of simply abandoning them, I would substitute them for a grade. I would trade my health, my friends and my family, for a letter.

During these depressive periods, it wasn’t so much that I didn’t think that there would be consequences for my actions, it’s just that they didn’t seem to matter. Nothing seemed to matter. If I had had the emotional capacity to laugh I would have found the prospect of making cereal, going out with friends, or having a career in the future absolutely hysterical. When you want to die, or at least when you don’t particularly care about living, everything seems so trivial.

I feel like I was living in greyness for so long and now that the colour is returning I regret not creating something beautiful or having positive experiences like most teenagers do. I feel like I’ve wasted my life, even though I’m only nineteen. I think that may be one reason why it is so hard to recover, why it can often seem that we are addicted to what hurts us, because once you've committed yourself to the greyness, even though it wasn't your choice, you don't want to admit that all of your time spent in the greyness was wasted. But if you don't recognise and accept what your life was like, you'll never find out what it could be.

That’s something I’m struggling with at the moment, admitting that I’ve missed out on a lot of experiences because if I don’t admit this I will miss out on so much more.

So, I’m starting this blog, it may not be much but at least it’s something. At least I’m doing something. And even if it only helps one person it will be worth it. Even if that one person is me.

“And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.”
— Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore

Follow

If you liked this post, you may also like my post 'Happiness Isn't The Default'.

Comments

  1. You hit the nail right on the head, I'm only 21 but for the best part of 10 years ive been battling anxiety and depression myself, only now starting to get out of it and coming to the realisation everyone else has had great social experiences through their teen years and ive been sat at home on my own never going out doesnt help one bit.

    Good luck with your journey, I can't recommend CBT enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quote you have chosen. Thanks for sharing you experience. Your not alone and wish you well with blog I look forward to you next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I had my first major breakdown at the ripe old age of 28 and when I was forced to look more closely at what I was experiencing I realised that I had been depressed for about 13 years. I just didn't realise it. Over the last 20 years I have experienced episodes of crushing depression and crippling anxiety and am only just starting to see the world in colour again after my most recent breakdown in October 2015. From my own experiences I have learnt that the key to our mental health is in our own hands and learning how to live with it. I wish you all the very best in your mission to reclaim a colourful life. God bless you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kinda get where you come from but you are right even if the blog just helps you, it's worth it but I hope it helps a lot more!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts