My Recovery Playlist



Sometimes you need a distraction and sometimes you need self-reflection. Music is a great way to do both of these. Obviously, music cannot cure mental illnesses but it is a great way to preoccupy your mind and process negative feelings. A lot of the time we become overwhelmed because we have too many thoughts and feelings but the lyrics and sound allow you to focus on one thought and feeling at a time.

There are many songs which reflect the darkness of my depression and the chaos of my anxiety, but now that I’m in recovery I thought I would try to be a bit more positive and share 10 songs which inspire me to continue with my mental health recovery.

“Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!” 
― J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

1. I Wanna Get Better - Bleachers 

“I didn’t know I was broken ‘til I wanted to change, I wanna get better.”



         
     2. Last Hope – Paramore

“It’s not that I don’t feel the pain it’s just I’m not afraid of hurting anymore / It’s just a spark but it’s enough to keep me going.”


         3. This Year – The Mountain Goats

“I am going to make it through this year if it kills me.”



4. Alive – Sia

“I found solace in the strangest place way in the back of my mind I saw my life in a stranger's face and it was mine…I'm still breathing, I'm still breathing I'm alive.”



        5. Plastic Flowers – The Front Bottoms

“Listen just because something burns bright doesn't mean it's going to burn forever so all these people around you saying you've got so much further to go it's going to get worse before it gets better I don't know, I don't if that's true... I believe that someone's got a plan for me they got a plan for me, even if I don't know it yet.”



      6. Praying – Kesha 

I'm proud of who I am no more monsters, I can breathe again and you said that I was done well, you were wrong and now the best is yet to come.”



      7. My Silver Lining – First Aid Kit 

“There’s no starting over, no new beginnings, time races on and you've just gotta keep on keeping on, gotta keep on going, looking straight out on the road, can't worry 'bout what's behind you or what's coming for you further up the road I try not to hold on to what is gone, I try to do right what is wrong I try to keep on keeping on”



      8. Sanctuary – Paradise Fears

“In time you’ll find, this life’s a painting and you’re the artist, so open your eyes, it’s never too late to clear your canvas.”



          9. Lovely – Twenty One Pilots

“I'll pray that one day you see the only difference between life and dying Is one is trying, that's all we're called to do so try to love me and I'll try to save you / won't you stay alive?”



       10. Truce – Twenty One Pilots 

“Stay alive, stay alive for me.”



“I hope the people who wrote those songs are happy. I hope they feel it's enough. I really do because they've made me happy. And I'm only one person.”
― Stephen ChboskyThe Perks of Being a Wallflower

“Music is to the soul what words are to the mind.” 
― Modest MouseModest Mouse - Good News for People Who Love Bad News
Follow

If you liked this post you may also like 5 Ways to Work on Your Mental Health

Comments

Popular Posts