17

At 17 I was exhausted.
Not from a lack of sleep
But an abundance of life
That felt more like survival.

At 17 I memorised
Fire exits and hiding spots.
The first to ensure survival,
The latter to avoid life.

At 17 I should have been learning
How to drive a car,
Not hoping
That one would hit me.

I’m not saying death is beautiful
It’s uglier than my life could ever be
But at 17 I wasn’t living
I was surviving,
Barely


Copyright © Amber Kemp 2017®
* No part of this poem may be used or reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any way or form or by any means electronic, mechanical, recording, or otherwise without the written permission of the author.*

There are things we tell ourselves to help us survive and that’s not necessarily a bad thing, but it becomes apparent that in order to maintain survival we have to shift some of our focus onto trying to live because eventually, you realise that a life without living isn’t worth survival. 

So, if right now you need to focus on survival I fully support that. However, it will not work long term but I realise that we don’t all have the luxury of worrying about the future when the present seems impossible enough. Trust me, I know. But what I’m trying to say is that although survival may be your immediate priority, there comes a time when you need to choose life.

Just because you have survived worse doesn’t mean you don’t deserve better. 
Follow

If you liked this post, you may also like my post on staying alive.

Comments

Popular Posts